Chase Southwest 50,000 Mile Cards Are Back

I had applied and received the Chase Southwest Plus card back in April. Shortly after all offers were pulled. I needed another 50k miles to reach companion status so my wife and I could fly home for Xmas this year for the cost of a single fare. Even though the T&C says otherwise, the bonus signup miles were counting toward companion status in the past. I’m not sure if that’s still the case, so YMMV with this round of cards.

I applied for the British Airways 100k offer earlier today since it expires tomorrow so I will not be instantly approved for any of these Chase Southwest cards. Chase will only instantly approve you for 1 personal card every 30 days. But, others have noted that they applied for two cards and just called the Chase reconsideration line to get things approved. Sometimes you need to shift some credit from other cards, and sometimes you need to close an existing account to approve the new one. Sometimes neither is required.

If you fly Southwest, the better deal is the Premiere cards since the 6,000 bonus miles is equal to the $99 annual fee. All four cards have minimum spend requirements which differs from the last offering of these cards which awarded you miles after first purchase. These require that you spend $1,000 within 3 months. There is a great post on MillionMileSecrets with 40+ ways to meet minimum spend requirements. Also, the annual fee is not waived for any of these cards.

Southwest miles are best used for domestic travel. You can redeem your miles for international travel, but it is extremely expensive and is a poor use of miles.

After you accumulate 110,000 Rapid Rewards miles, you earn a Companion Pass. This is valid for the remainder of the year in which it is earned and the entire year after. For example, if you earn the Companion Pass in Jul 2012 it will be valid for the rest of 2012 and all of 2013! This is hands down the best deal for domestic travel. With this you can designate someone to travel with you for free. This is valid for pair fares and fares pair for by mileage redemption. Your companion must fly with the person who earned the companion pass, and you can re-designate the person to fly free a few times in a year.

This entry was posted in Chase, Southwest. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Chase Southwest 50,000 Mile Cards Are Back

1. Alysia says:

Can you apply for both of the personal cards as well as one of the business cards?

2. Ken says:

Since Chase limits you on thew amount of cards you can get, you will likely not get all 3 cards as it would be a hard sell when you’re talking to Chase reconsideration. You are usually able to get 1 personal and 1 business card at once. You almost always have to call in for the business app though, so be prepared.

3. marc says:

For some reason these application forms have been down for the past 24 hours. Is anyone else having issues?? I keep getting “server error” and never even get to an application form. Thanks for the tip though!

4. Ken says:

All 4 apps seem to be working for me, I’m not getting any errors on my end.

5. JSto says:

I was getting errors on all of them EXCEPT the personal plus card.

6. Ken says:

Are they working for you now?

7. JSto says:

No they are still showing this:

Server Error

Due to a technical error, we are unable to process your application. You may try to submit your application again or try again later if the problem continues.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

8. Ken says:

They’re working for me on several different browsers on different computers. Can you try it on a different computer?

Is anyone else having this problem?

9. marc says:

The applications started working today! I submitted a business application and waiting for the “pending” to go through – or for them to call me…. then its a hop-skip-jump away from Companion class status, hopefully!

10. Ken says:

I’m glad it’s working for you now. You might want to give Chase Reconsideration a call at 800-453-9719, business apps almost never get instant approval.

11. marc says:

Yes, all approved! Also for my personal card – with this recent promotion, i’ll score an extra 1150 points after i spend $50 at an approved restaurant w/ their dining program. So i’ll just be 2000 points away from that companion pass through 12/13…

12. Ken says:

Did you do personal AND business cards the same day and get approved for both?

13. marc says:

No, only business card this time… My personal card I received back in March/April when they were last doing this 50k promotion.

14. Brad says:

I’m new to the churning game…this will be my first app. If I’m trying for companion status, would I be better off applying for both personal and business at the same time? Or should I apply for just the personal card now and hope the 50k miles offer is still around to apply for the business card before the end of the calendar year?

Credit is 750 without any card apps in the last 2 years.

15. Ken says:

@Brad – You need business income, but that could be anything from Amazon, eBay, a business you own, etc. If this fits you, you can apply for both now. Just be prepared to call at least the business reconsideration line and possibly the personal recon line in case that one is not instantly approved. Have a reason for wanting two of the same card at once.

16. Alysia says:

So, I applied for both of the business cards just for the heck of it. I was approved immediately for one and never got a decision on the other… until I received BOTH cards in the mail today. When I called to activate them, both reps told me I had the 50,000 offer, but the second one said that if I had more than one Southwest card, only one of them would receive the offer (she didn’t seem sure that I had another card though and I was vague). So, I’m not sure if I’ll receive the points for both cards. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

17. Ken says:

@Alysia – You were instantly approved for a business card? That doesn’t happen often. And I’m REALLY surprised they approved both cards. That’s great news though! If you don’t mind, please email me and we can discuss it further. Ken@travelingforfree.com.